Some people use St. Paul’s views in his letters
to the Corinthians and to Timothy to say that
homosexuality and homosexuals are bad.
The facts are:
- Paul states that certain types of
wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of
God. Among these are men who have sex
with men. (1 Corinthians 6:9)
- Paul also states that the law is made for
lawbreakers such as men who have sex
with men. (1 Timothy 1:10)
- In each case, Paul is criticizing only
male-male penetration, not other forms of
- Although Paul criticizes male-male
penetration in 1 Corinthians 6:9 and 1
Timothy 1:10, he does not actually say
don't do it.
- What do 1 Corinthians 6:9 and 1 Timothy 1:
- How do we know that these verses criticize
only male-male penetrative sex and what
were the reasons for this criticism?
- What does the criticism of male-male
penetration mean for men who are attracted
to, or have sex with, other men?
- What does Paul mean by arsenokoitai and
- False views or misconceptions about 1
Corinthians 6:9 and 1 Timothy 1:10